Tuesday, June 23, 2009

DIY: Neckties turned Flowers

Because I am obsessed with craft supplies, and still do not have a job, ( I was fired from the backwaiter gig, it sucked anyways), I've decided to NOT buy any more ribbon/flowers/etc etc. I will only find them on FreeCycle ( www.freecycle.org ) since I'm sure other people have GREAT stuff that they don't use and I could create with. The only thing I'm buying new are the alligator clips used for hair accessories. Sally's Beauty Supply usually has good deals on that.

For instance I posted on FreeCycle that I wanted some neckties and low and behold a manager from my old waitress job had a bunch of old ties that he could spare. So, I turned them into flower broaches that will soon be sold on etsy, or ebay, haven't decided yet.

Here's how to make them:
Supplies:
Necktie
Hot Glue/Glue Gun
Scissors
Safety Pin

First get a necktie (that nobody plans on wearing of course) and cut it in half.


On the cut side hot glue down the center about 2 inches and start rolling it in over the glue:



The rolled part will be the center of the rose. to create the 'petals' begin twisting the tie around the center rolled part, adding glue after each twist for a better hold:



Once you've twisted it all the way to the end of your tie, secure the end with glue, and glue a small piece of fabric or tie scraps to the back. Glue only the top of it, then add the safety pin so the side that DOESN'T open is behind the fabric, then glue the bottom part to secure it in.


Affix to your shirt, and everyone will be asking, 'What is that?' :)

No comments:

Post a Comment